How to Get Workers’ Compensation in Vermont

Posted by: Jan 24, 2018Articles & Advice

You know that if your injured on the job in Vermont, you are likely entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. When your employer finds out about the injury, he or she must submit a claim. The claim is to the company’s workers’ compensation insurer and the Vermont Department of Labor. The insurer then covers your medical treatment. The Vermont Department of Labor will provide you with compensation benefits until you can return to work.

But sometimes things don’t go as planned. The employer might deny the injury happened at work. Maybe there was some miscommunication and you thought you had filed for benefits. It’s important that you know the appropriate steps to take so you can receive your benefits on time.


Filing a Claim

While you get six months to file a workers’ compensation claim, you should inform your employer of a workplace injury as soon as possible. Your employer will file a workers’ compensation claim with their insurer, and you’ll get a copy. If your employer does not file a claim, you can do so yourself by filling out and submitting Form 5 — Employee’s Notice of Injury and Claim for Compensation. If you use this form, you will have to provide proof that your injury was work-related.

If you have dependents or multiple jobs, you want to fill out Form 10 as well. This Certificate of Dependency and Concurrent Employment form will allow you to receive additional benefits to pay for additional lost income. You’ll also receive $10 per week per dependent. A dependent is a child under age 21.

Many cases are wrongly denied by the employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company. Insurance companies often take advantage of injured workers by not supplying them with the benefits the law requires. If you have received a denial letter, contact a workers’ compensation lawyer to file an appeal.


Receiving Benefits

You are eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits if you are unable to work while you are recovering from a work-related injury. The injured person will receive weekly benefits called temporary total disability (TTD). To receive these benefits, you must be unable to attend work for at least four days. Your benefits will be two-thirds of your usual gross (before taxes and withholdings) wage.

If your doctor released you back to work, you may be able to receive temporary partial disability benefits. Your amount will be two-thirds of the difference between your full-time pay and part-time pay. You will typically receive benefits until you have reached your maximum medical improvement and can return to work.


Contact a Vermont Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Today

If injured on the job, it’s important that you file a workers’ compensation claim. Sometimes valid claims still get denied and it’s important that you don’t give up. What we see most often is Vermont workers’ compensation insurance carriers that keep the claim open, but don’t provide benefits and deny necessary treatment.

At Sabbeth Law, we represent injured workers before the Vermont Department of Labor. If your employer is trying to find ways to deny you of the benefits you deserve, let us help. To schedule a free consultation with Sabbeth Law, give us a call at (802) 457-1112 or fill out our handy online form.