Skip to Main Content

Injured Construction Worker? You Have Rights

Injured Construction Worker? You Have Rights

All construction workers on a jobsite are vulnerable to accidents, including the following:

  • Carpenter accidents. A carpenter can get dust or other material stuck in his eye, leading to blindness. Noise is also a problem on construction sites.
  • Plumbing accidents. Plumbers can fall from heights or have trenches collapse on them.
  • Electrocutions. A worker can be electrocuted when working with a defective power tool or when accidentally touching a live wire. If a ladder is set up too close to a powerline, then it could move and electrocute anyone standing on it.
  • Construction vehicle accidents. Cement trucks, tractor-trailers, cranes, and forklifts can cause collisions or drop heavy material on workers.
  • Toxic exposure. There are many toxins on a construction site that a worker can inhale or absorb by direct contact. Toxic exposure can sometimes lead to illnesses like cancer or respiratory problems.

After an accident, you must receive prompt medical attention. This attention can make the difference between eventually recovering from your injuries or struggling with a disability permanently. Be sure to check whether your employer has designated a medical professional you must meet with.

Notifying Your Employer of the Accident

Most employers in Vermont and New Hampshire must carry workers’ compensation insurance. This insurance will cover your medical care after an on-the-job injury. However, you need to notify your employer of the accident promptly.

In Vermont, for example, your Human Resources Representative and your supervisor must report the accident online to the state within 72 hours. In New Hampshire, your employer will get 5 days to report the accident to the state’s administrator.

Remember to report an injury, no matter how minor it may seem. Sometimes, minor injuries actually become much worse, in which case you could need to take time off.

Workers’ Compensation Benefits & Lawsuits

In addition to medical care, workers can also qualify for wage replacement benefits to cover a portion of their lost wages. In both Vermont and New Hampshire, workers might qualify for temporary disability benefits, when a worker needs a short time-out to recover from an injury.

Longer-term benefits are also available for someone who is permanently disabled. Some permanent disabilities are partial, but the worker can return to meaningful employment, while other permanent disabilities are total.

Each state prevents a worker from suing their employer in most situations. But sometimes a person has a valid claim against a third party, such as the manufacturer of a defective tool or the owner of a jobsite. You should meet with an attorney to discuss the possibility of a lawsuit.

Contact Sabbeth Law today

Reach out to Sabbeth Law today. We have represented injured construction workers in Vermont and New Hampshire for years. Please contact us today to schedule a free consultation.