Randolph Wrongful Death Lawyer
We Handle Wrongful Death Claims in Vermont and New Hampshire
There is nothing more heartbreaking or emotionally devastating than losing a loved one in an avoidable accident. Although nothing could ever truly make things right, a wrongful death claim allows the family to take action to get justice, accountability, and access to financial support. Unfortunately, even in wrongful death claims, defendants and insurance companies are difficult to work with.
At Sabbeth Law, our Randolph wrongful death attorneys are driven by compassion and measured by success. If your family member was killed in an accident, we are here to provide guidance and support. To set up a free, completely confidential consultation with an experienced wrongful death attorney in Randolph, VT, please call our office now or reach out to us online.
An Overview of Vermont’s Wrongful Death Laws
A wrongful death claim or wrongful death lawsuit is a specialized type of legal case through which close loved ones of the deceased victim can take action to hold the responsible parties liable. In other words, these types of claims are brought against a defendant(s) who caused someone else’s death through their careless, reckless, or otherwise improper conduct. Here are some of the key things you should know about the wrongful death laws in Vermont:
- Wrongful Death Eligibility Lawsuit in Vermont: Under Vermont state law (14 V.S.A. § 1492), a wrongful death lawsuit must be filed by the personal representative of the victim’s estate. Often, this is the executor named in their will. Though, the personal representative may also be another party appointed by the court. In bringing a wrongful death action, the personal representative is responsible for acting on behalf of the surviving family members of the victim.
- The Standard of Liability of Wrongful Death Cases: To hold a defendant responsible for a wrongful death, a plaintiff must prove liability. Under VT state law (14 V.S.A. § 1491), liability in a wrongful death claim arises when “the death of a person is caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or default of a person or corporation” and the victim would have been able to bring a successful claim and recover damages “if death had not ensued.” Most wrongful death claims are based on negligence.
- Damages are Available in a VT Wrongful Death Claim: If your family member was killed because of negligence, you and your family can seek compensation for out-of-pocket losses and intangible damages. You may be able to recover from medical expenses, funeral/burial costs, lost income & financial support, and loss of love, companionship, and consortium.
Note: Wrongful death claims generally arise under state law. If the fatal accident occurred across the border in New Hampshire, that claim will be governed by that state’s wrongful death laws. Although there are many broad similarities between VT law and NH law, there are also some important differences. Our Randolph wrongful death lawyers have the skills and legal knowledge to represent your family in a New Hampshire wrongful death claim.
Your Family Can Rely On the Randolph Wrongful Death Attorneys at Sabbeth Law
Wrongful death claims are complicated. At Sabbeth Law, our legal team cares about people. We put in the time and resources to ensure that your family’s case is handled the right way. When you get in touch with our firm, you will have an opportunity to speak with a Vermont wrongful death lawyer who is prepared to:
- Listen to your story and answer your questions about wrongful death law;
- Provide a step-by-step overview of what happens next;
- Investigate the accident, gathering the evidence needed to prove liability; and
- Take your wrongful death case as far as it needs to go to get your family justice.
A wrongful death claim should always be handled with the utmost level of care, compassion, and respect. We will put in time, resources, and attention to the smallest details. With a record of reviews from our clients in Vermont and New Hampshire, our Randolph wrongful death lawyers are driven to do what is right for people and families going through trying times.
Call Our Randolph, VT Wrongful Death Attorneys Today
At Sabbeth Law, our Vermont wrongful death lawyers are devoted to protecting the rights of our clients and helping them navigate the complexities of the legal system so that they can maximize their financial recovery. If your loved one was killed due to the negligence of another party, we are here to help. Contact us today for a free, strictly private initial consultation. We represent families in Randolph, Orange County, and throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.
“Immediately after my son’s injury at work, he was treated poorly. Over the course of the next few days it became even worse, so I called Mike and he and Crystal have been absolute lifesavers during the process. Mike is not your typical stuffed suit lawyer who only cares about the bottom line he genuinely cares about his clients and his assistant Crystal is beyond amazing! My thanks to you both!”
“Immediately after my son’s injury at work, he was treated poorly. Over the course of the next few days it became even worse, so I called Mike and he and Crystal have been absolute lifesavers during the process. Mike is not your typical stuffed suit lawyer who only cares about the bottom line he genuinely cares about his clients and his assistant Crystal is beyond amazing! My thanks to you both!”LUKE PARMENTER
“I could never ask for a better attorney, to fight for me, to believe in me, and have faith in me, than what I found in Mike Sabbeth, He doesn’t treat you like a client, he treats you as if you are one of his own family members, He will fight for you, with all he has, and is ALWAYS up front and honest with you about everything!”SANDRA DRUGE